Tipping in Tanzania
Tipping is a sensitive issue for most European countries but common in East Africa in the tourist industry. The below mentioned are guidelines for your information.
- Driver guides - $10 per person sharing the vehicle (e.g. 4 persons x 4 days @$10 = $160 in total).
- Safari chef - $5 – $10 per person (e.g. 4 persons x 4 days @$8 = $128 in total).
- Semi lux camp manager and crew (only for semi luxury camping safaris where a camp support crew is required) – $15 – $20 per person sharing per day to be divided between the team.
- Hotels and service providers – baggage handlers – porters – waiters $1 – $2. This can become a bit monotonous if you are undertaking a lodge safari which is why many of the hotels and lodge introduced a general tip box for all staff.
Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru
Here our advice is slightly different as the crew sizes will vary depending on how many people are in your group and how many days you are climbing. The below are guidelines based on a 7 day climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro – obviously you can tip higher which becomes easier the more people sharing your climb.
- Head Guide - $80 – $150
- Assistant guide - $60 – $80
- Mountain Chef - $50 – $70
- Porters - $25 – $40